"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
I have just ended a wonderful holiday weekend and am now back to the ol' grindstone at work. Meaning, that everyone is getting caught up from the holiday, leaving me some time before others have a task for me to complete. So, a new blog update is in order...
I read a piece of advice on the internet this morning which suggested an activity which seems pretty morbid; write your own obituary. Not later, but today. I have no ambition to die today, or tomorrow, or anytime soon, but writing an obituary states a person's legacy, WHAT THEIR LIFE STOOD FOR while here on Earth. At the end, what do you want your legacy to be?
This follows advice I have received in my coursework to become a teacher as well - begin with the end in mind. As I prepare for my last year of college, and start on my track as a professional woman, what kind of legacy do I want to create? It is with this goal in mind that I have written my own obituary - not necessarily things I have done, but what I hope to do and the person I hope to be for myself and others. Feel free to read on, and then perhaps take on the task yourself. Need help? Start with these 2 questions: what do you want your life to represent? how would you like to be remembered?
Michelle Lynn Streed, of Milwaukee, WI, passed away peacefully today after living a long and fulfilling life of service. She passed in the presence of family and friends at her home.
Michelle was born in Minnesota on January 3, 1988 and grew up in Greendale, WI with her sister, Beth, and her mother, Maureen. Michelle is a graduate of Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee, WI, and credited both her homelife as a child and her experiences at Stritch for instilling in her the powerful desire to serve those most in need through education, which she started upon graduation. Michelle served in the Peace Corps for 2 years as an English teacher abroad, looking to promote understanding of Americans and other cultures here and abroad. After her time in the Corps, Michelle moved back to Wisconsin and resumed teaching. Michelle taught middle and high school students in Wisconsin for years and was very passionate about her teaching.
Being immersed in the community in which she worked was very important to Michelle. In addition to her teaching, Michelle spend her weekends volunteering at different locations in Wisconsin, serving those in need. Michelle believed in leading and preaching the gospel through the person that she was, and this service was very important to her. Michelle was also an active member of her Catholic church, where she volunteered her time for years in the CCD and RCIA programs.
Michelle married in her 30s her wonderful husband and was blessed to have a wonderful family, which was very important to her. Michelle enjoyed laughing, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and serving. She is survived by her husband, children, nieces, nephews, friends, and her beloved pet cat. She will be remembered for her servant leadership, her infectious laugh, and her love of life, people, and the world in which she lived.
Now, I don't know if I will accomplish any or all of these things, but I think it's something to strive for. I want to be the kind of person people can come to and depend on. I want to be deeply involved in all aspects of my community. I want to use the gifts that God has given me to actively serve in the world which he created. Finally, I want to be able to look back on my life with no regrets. It is my hope that writing this obituary, morbid though it may be, helps me to keep my focus and not get distracted from my purpose. If my writing comes true, I'll say that's a pretty good bet. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment